Wedding dress laid to rest

by Joanna on March 6, 2012

Picking up my wedding dress from the cleaner was both exciting and emotional.  I’d been wanting to have it back but as we waited while the cleaner fetched my dress I noticed a sample dress in a display box and anxiety hit.  I didn’t want my dress to look like that one sitting on the shelf.  The woman placed the huge box on the counter and pulled my preserved dress out of the box.  Emotions swelled from my heart and tears welled in my eyes.  Oh no.  That’s my dress in a coffin,  I thought.  It’s stuffed and stiff and untouchable when all I want to do is cuddle up in my bed with it.  Hug it.  See it hanging and free flowing so I can lay in bed and admire it like I did the day after my wedding, day dreaming about that happy spring day.  I want it to have life in it. But instead it’s stuffed with dry white tissue paper and laid to rest behind this clear plastic cover.

For some reason it would feel a lot better if it were just in a plain old dry cleaner bag, hanging in the back of my closet.  I could touch it or see it as I get ready for a date or for a random Tuesday of work and say mmm as I think back fondly about how I felt when I wore the dress: so beautiful, joyful, full of love. So alive. I’m sure it would yellow just the same and after a while I probably wouldn’t even see it anymore. It would become another belonging in my closet that I pay no mind to. But for now, more than anything, I want it back.

The logical part of me thinks I should just keep in the closet at my Dad’s house since we don’t really have room for it here. The emotional part of me imagines myself sitting on the floor of our living room, arms spread wide and cheek resting on the big white cardboard box crying and crying.

The rational part of me knows that I won’t wear it again, that maybe I should sell it and use the money toward another dream: paying down my student debt. The romantic part of me sees this as the symbol of the day I dreamed of for so long.  A dream that has come and gone.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Chrissy Norelli March 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm

It looks just as beautiful as the first time I saw it… you’re right though, when will you ever wear it? Even if you do renew your vows for example, you probably won’t do it in the same dress (although that could be an idea). It’s a dream that has come and gone, but it’s what you’ve accomplished with that dream- finding the love of your life and devoting yourself to that person, to spend your life happy and in love. That one dream has come and gone, but you and Mike will have a million more… ones that are more fun than paying down your school loans 😛

2 Joanna March 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thanks :)

You’re right. I shouldn’t take that for granted.

3 Jacquelyn March 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

That dress is beautiful and you are gorgeous in it! I think doing the “trash the dress” shoots are cool although maybe with your strong emotional attachment to it you probably shouldn’t do it. I’ve also heard of people remaking their dress into something else like their child’s christening gown (if you’re religious and will be in need of this) or maybe make it into a decorative pillow for your bed so that you can lay with it! And money is always nice, we certainly all need it for student loans, but maybe donating it would make you feel better about parting?
Good luck!!

4 Joanna March 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thanks Jacquelyn! Yeah I don’t think I could handle a trash the dress. I’ve heard the Christening idea, which I like. I’ve also thought about donating but don’t know if I can part with my dress (yet). Part of me hopes my daughter will want to wear it some day too.

5 Caitlin @ Chasing a Mile March 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

I still have my wedding dress in its bag in my closet. I have mixed feelings about getting it perserved. I know I won’t ever wear it again, but I want to be able to look at it!

6 Sam March 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

My wedding dress was amazing–but by the end of my outdoor reception got pretty ratty. My shoes came off, and I remember kneeling a lot from the dozen times I was “iced.” Yes, I’m classy, I know. Where did you get your dress preserved? How much did they charge? Is there a statute of limitations on how long after a wedding one can be preserved (I’m going on 19 months, don’t judge.)

7 Joanna March 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I got mine preserved near home in PA. It cost $170. I bought my wedding dress at The Bridal Boutique in Columbia, MD and I think they do dress preservation there.

No clue about the statute of limitations. Maybe some other readers can weigh in??