Feeling antsy

by Joanna on June 14, 2012

I’m feeling ornery this morning.  Bored almost. It’s like I’m restless and tired all at the same time.

I don’t feel like doing anything this week. I don’t feel like cooking.  I don’t feel like working out, though I just got back from the gym. I don’t feel like doing anything at work. But I can’t think of anything that I’d want to do if I stayed home.

Really I just want to get in bed and sleep.

But I fell asleep on the couch at like 8:10 last night and woke up pretty disoriented at 8:50 because I was in such a deep sleep.  I went to bed almost immediately and conked right out.  Such a deep, good sleep. I woke up at 1 am thinking it must be morning but it wasn’t, that’s how long it felt like I slept, how restful the sleep was. And now it’s almost 7 am and I just want to get back in bed. [edit: I did that, got back in bed for 30 minutes and it was amazing. I just want to get back in.]

Maybe I need a vacation.  All I want to do is veg.  To curl up on the couch or in bed with a book that I’m really into and don’t want to put down.

I bought Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend hoping that it would suck me in.  I’m just at the part where they meet for the second time, like 20 pages in and I’m not gripped just yet.  I haven’t wanted to bring it on the bus with me because maybe it’s a little weird? But you know what? Screw it.  I’m bringing it with me this morning.  Here’s hoping…

Let’s chat:

What type of mood are you in this week?

Do you ever feel antsy like I am?

Do you have any book recommendations in case Fifty Shades of Grey doesn’t suck me in?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Paige June 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

Hi Joanna! I found your blog a little while ago and love your voice and honesty. I know EXACTLY what you’re saying here about the restlessness. Whenever I feel this sense of restlessness I like to think it’s because my brain/subconscious is working on something that I can’t access yet. And it needs a chance to do that before whatever it’s working on becomes clear/apparent to me. Sometimes I get frustrated during those restless times, but when I tell myself that I need to give my brain the opportunity to do whatever it’s doing (even if I have no idea what that is at the moment) I feel much more at ease even in that uneasy state and stop trying to control it. Does that make any sense? haha. I have a feeling you’ll get it : )

2 Joanna June 14, 2012 at 10:27 am

Paige,

Thank you so much for your comment! I get EXACTLY what you’re saying and I bet that’s what’s going on with me. I have my best ideas when I’m laying in bed looking out the window or just waking up so it makes sense that’s why I’m feeling pulled there. I really appreciate you reaching out and sharing this because it puts me at ease and somehow helps me relax in this restlessness.

Thank you!

3 Jordan June 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I know the antsy feeling exactly…I feel like the whole day is a waste and that I just need to go to bed and start over the next. I wish I had some sort of little thing in the middle of the day that I could do to refocus but I have yet to find it but maybe I should just accept it like your first commenter. I’ve never tried that. Secondly, I’ve been really not into reading 50 Shades because I heard it described as a “rape fantasy” (I think on NPR.) Several of my friends have tried to debunk that description and so now I’m kind of interested – I’d love to know what you think! I requested it from the library and I’m #421 on the waiting list!

4 Joanna June 16, 2012 at 6:05 pm

It’s amazing, after reading Paige’s comment on the bus the same morning I wrote this post, I felt different almost immediately. I’d definitely try just accepting it temporarily and see if it passes.

50 Shades is interesting to say the least. Since bringing it on the bus the other day I’ve read about 100 more pages. I’ll let you know a full report when I’m finished!

5 Sarah June 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I go through cycles of the antsy feeling. Occasionally it pops up when I feel I’m becoming complaisant. Scratch that, most of the time I get that feeling it’s because I’m feeling complaisant. The same old just isn’t as rewarding and I feel like I should be doing something more, but finding where to start seems next to impossible. Sometimes I try to debunk that feeling by working extra hard at my relationships to fan the flames (even if it’s just a friendship). Surprising a loved one goes far for my own enjoyment and the search for just the right activity can be exciting. Sometimes I just pick up a new physical social activity (I joined a kickball league once and that was super fun)… and sometimes I need a simple change like reorganizing my desk at work to feel like its a fresh, best-foot -forward kind of start start.
Feelings of restlessness are totally normal and are part of a natural cycle. I think I would be more concerned if you didn’t get them sometimes! Life has ruts, even if it’s just a lazy day, but that’s what makes the great times seem so enjoyable!

6 Joanna June 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Great ideas for trying to get the feeling go away. Even something small like shifting focus to friendships or changing your surroundings can make things seems different. I cleaned my desk about a month ago and it’s amazing how much more motivated and productive I was. Maybe I should try something like that at home.