full of grace

by Joanna on September 7, 2012

Today I’m participating in my first official Five Minute Friday.  I did write for 5 mins a few Fridays ago but I didn’t post what I wrote. But the point of this exercise is to just write for five minutes without judgement or editing to see what comes out.  So here it is.  What came out for me with the word graceful.

GO

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee…

I can still recite this prayer from heart like it was yesterday.  Though some others have fallen off of my radar, for some reason the Hail Mary is right on the tip of my tongue.

I haven’t been to church aside from weddings in quite a while.  Well, the Catholic church that is.  Mike and I were married in the Presbyterian Church and made a little bit of an effort to get to a few services when we were home before our wedding.  While I enjoyed the services, they also made me very emotional.

I started not going to church at the beginning of college.  I went to one service at the Catholic Church on campus and I wasn’t fond of the priest so I didn’t return.  Something about the service didn’t do for my soul what my church growing up had done.

Since then, I’ve been wondering what role religion will play in my life.  I loved going to church as a kid but I wonder if the reasons I had for going to church then are the same reasons I’d go to church now.

STOP

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lynda September 7, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Hi Joanna, (I have a 19 year old daughter, also called Joanna),
I love your honesty. I’m sure that you’ll sort out the reasons. For me, having been in a few different churches as we’ve traveled, it’s all about my relationship with HIM… church is a means of encouraging that relationship.
I shall definitely enjoy having a look at some of your other posts. Your profile picture is gorgeous… beautiful!

2 Joanna September 10, 2012 at 7:21 am

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, Lynda!

3 Wendy September 8, 2012 at 1:50 am

Welcome to the FMF community! So glad that you joined us today and I am looking forward to getting to know you more. Blessings!

4 Hannah King September 8, 2012 at 2:45 am

Hi Joanna, I’ve found your blog through Lisa-Jo’s Five Minute Friday – I have only just started taking part in it and I love it!
Just like you, the very first thing that came to mind when I read the word ‘graceful’ was to do with God – my Five Minute Friday post ended up being about the incredible grace of God that I feel so humbled to know. I pray that as you think about what role religion has in your life, you would be overwhelmed in a wonderful way by the grace that God so freely gives us, new every morning : )
And just as Lynda said, you look beautiful and radiant in your profile picture!

5 Joanna September 10, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thank you for your kind words and prayers, Hannah!

6 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I still have that prayer memorized too. We had to memorize that, and the “Our Father” in second grade catechism (I grew up Catholic too). Now that I’m married, I go to the Methodist church. It took my husband and I a while to find one that we liked, because he has a Baptist background, but now that we’re settled into a church, we like it. Sometimes I feel like I’m more spiritual than I am religious (I don’t like that religion can cause conflict), but I would like to raise our children in the church someday.

7 Joanna September 10, 2012 at 7:19 am

That’s how I feel too–that I’m more spiritual than I am religious and I don’t like that religion can cause conflict. I also think about children and church and I think that’s probably a big factor in my on-going thoughts about this topic. I think I’d like my children to be baptized, etc. but I’m not sure why or where that comes from and I feel like “because you’re supposed to” isn’t a good reason. I’d like it to be more intentional than that. So I’m not sure…