what is self care anyway?

by Joanna on July 23, 2014

flowers journal

I’m a huge advocate for showing up as your authentic self and pursuing your dreams big and small. A key ingredient for that is self care. But what does self care even mean?

Self care is going to vary from person to person. There is no one-size fits all self care practice.

To figure out what self care means for you, ask yourself this:

What do you need to maintain a relationship with yourself?

This can be quiet time at least once a week,
Time to dance,
Painting your nails,
Saying no to things you don’t want to do,
A morning run,
Speaking your mind,
Cuddling up with a good book,
A warm bath,
Journaling,
etc.

Please note: Self care is not a luxury. Self care is a necessity.

So tell me in the comments, what does self-care look like for you? What do you need to maintain a relationship with yourself?

P.S. My inspiration list.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kourtnaye July 23, 2014 at 9:51 pm

1-2 nights of me time each week, reading good books while cuddling with my kitty, and not giving myself a hard time when I want to eat something bad for me… Well, not giving myself a hard time about anything that I truly want to do

2 Joanna July 24, 2014 at 10:31 am

Amazing, Kourt! Thanks for sharing!

3 Kylie Bevan July 23, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I’m a big self care fan – but you are so right, it’s not immediately obvious what it actually means. I love that you’ve simplified it so beautifully.
My self care is a book in the sun sometime each week.

4 Angela July 24, 2014 at 5:40 am

Meditation is my thing, if that slips when I get “too busy” then the wheels will come off pretty quickly. I try to make time every day, even if it’s just for 10 minutes before I go to sleep.

5 Joanna July 24, 2014 at 10:33 am

Yeah it’s amazing to think about what happens when we don’t get enough self care in. For me, it’s like I can’t shine the way I want to.

6 Dani Gardner July 24, 2014 at 6:41 am

One of my favourite daily self care rituals is burning some ayurvedic balancing oil in my office. One of my weekly rituals is buying some fresh flowers for my desk. And one of my favourite monthly self care pleasures is going to the Golden Door Day Spa for a massage, sauna and hot tub. Yum!

7 Joanna July 24, 2014 at 10:33 am

Daily, weekly, monthly –I love it!